This position sits within the Measurement & Analysis Capability (MAC) Group, part of Dyson’s world class Research, Design and Development (RDD) department. We enhance the development of new technologies across all Dyson product categories by practicing a blend of software, mechanical and electrical/electronic expertise to innovate full-stack platforms or tools for data acquisition, data analysis or research that is used by Dyson engineers globally.
We regularly use Raspberry Pis, Arduinos, and National Instruments hardware. We write software in Python, LabVIEW, and C; we design mechanical components and fixtures; we design custom PCBAs; and sometimes work with external suppliers to deliver measurement and analysis capabilities.
The MAC Group also engages in the development of cutting edge multi-disciplinary product technologies like the dust detection feature in our V15 vacuum, where our inter-disciplinary skillset helps to bring an idea to fruition.
What You Will Do
As an intern in the MAC Group, you’ll be at the frontline of problem solving. You’ll have the opportunity to apply the knowledge you’ve learnt in university, as well as to grow and learn from experienced mentor(s) along the way. You’ll have your own set of project deliverables and the chance to take ownership of how these are achieved.
Some of your tasks could include:
- Deliver measurement and analysis capabilities that meet specifications and requirements.
- Apply multi-disciplinary skills and knowledge to generate ideas, solve problems and offer solutions to technical challenges.
- Collaborate with engineers and specialists from a wide variety of technical disciplines to deliver objectives.
Required Skills and Abilities
You could be a good fit for our team if you are:
- Passionate about problem solving and good design.
- Always challenging the status quo, coming up with solutions to difficult problems.
- Constantly tinkering and investigating new technologies as a hobby.
- Curious, eager to learn, and unafraid to venture into the unknown.
- Highly driven, enjoy challenges and strive to get the best results.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- On track for 2nd upper class Honor's or above in a relevant Bachelor's. degree (computer science, data science, electrical/electronics, mechanical, mechatronics engineering, etc.).
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Solid planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills in English.
- Excellent collaboration and interpersonal skills.
Owing to the wide range of applied skillsets in our team, the skillsets listed below would be advantageous, but not a must. Most importantly, we’re looking for passion or interest.
- Application of cloud computing, IoT platforms and fleet management tools like Google Cloud Platform, InfluxDB, Balena and Docker.
- Mechanical design of test and measurement systems consisting of metallic and plastic components.
- Familiarity with machining, injection molding, and rapid prototyping processes.
- Electrical systems, electronic circuit and PCBA design.
- Familiarity with agile practices and Atlassian tools.
- Familiarity with Systems Engineering concepts and tools.
- Data acquisition knowledge and techniques especially using National Instruments products.
- Selection and application of measurement instruments and sensors (optical, inductive, ultrasonic etc.).
- Selection and application of actuators and motion control hardware (VFDs, servo and stepper motors, linear actuators, etc.).
- Knowledge and application of control systems.
- Job type:Internships
Computer Science, Data Science and Analytics,...
- Closing Date:3rd Jun 2022, 6:00 pm